If you currently live in New York:

Unfortunately, the NY BitLicense legislation introduced in 2014 prevents any individual or business to engage in Virtual Currency Business Activity without a BitLicense. Virtual Currency Business Activity includes:

  • Receiving or sending Virtual Currency

  • Storing, holding, or maintaining custody or control of Virtual Currency on behalf of others

  • Buying and selling Virtual Currency as a customer business

  • Performing exchange services as a customer business, or

  • Controlling, administering, or issuing a Virtual Currency

If you would like more information, you can head to the New York State Department of Financial Services for Virtual Currency Businesses here: https://www.dfs.ny.gov/apps_and_licensing/virtual_currency_businesses

If you no longer live in New York:

If you have only recently moved out of New York, or are registered at a permanent residence elsewhere, we may be able to facilitate an account for you. By registering an account, you will be asked for a Proof of Address document at a point in the registration, so you can submit a document confirming your residential address in the application. Our Customer Success team will review your application and let you know of the outcomes, or reach out for further information if needed.

Setting up an account is very simple; for more information, head to our Help Article here on Opening an Individual Account with Caleb & Brown. You can also head directly to our registration form here:

Did this answer your question?